Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Letting Go

For this assignment, we were asked what we think of when we hear the word: "celebrity." Many people think of fame, money, flashing lights, makeup, and some of their favorite singers and actors. I think of that too, but I also think of what's lying under all the makeup and airbrushed pictures- a real person who makes mistakes just like the rest of us. We then had to take what we thought of, and create a collage. However, we weren't keeping the first collage.
Starting off a collage that I wouldn't be keeping was actually very difficult. I had to find pictures from magazines that I thought would be easy for the next person to work with. I managed to figure out how to make a base for the first collage, and then when we passed that one on, we received another. We worked on the started collages that we received for two days, and then received what would be "our" collages. 
When I first saw what I was given, I had NO idea what I was supposed to do. I didn't know where to start or what to cover up or what to enhance. I didn't know how to keep going on something that I didn't start. However, after a while, I just began painting over things and plastering things down, and I went from there. I have to say, I am pretty proud of the final outcome of my collage. The entire process of starting one collage, giving it away, receiving one that was already started, working on that and then giving it away, and receiving a third collage that wasn't my own also reminded me of a life lesson I've been handed multiple times. Life is going to hand you situations that you don't know how to react to- you may be put in the middle of something you didn't start, or you may start something that someone else will eventually have to finish. But no matter what problems you may be given from someone or something else, you have to figure out how to finish it, even if at first you have no idea where to begin. 

No comments:

Post a Comment